My message to the residents of the 5th district is simple: I want to hear from you and I'm travelling around the district to listen up. Louisiana is a small state with big problems as well as great assets and incredible potential. I believe in Louisiana, her citizens and our country, and I seek to restore confidence in our state and ourselves.
The notion that a vote does not count or is lost when one votes for a third party candidate is false. The two-party system, bound by money and tired politics, encourages Democrats and Republicans to be overly dedicated to special interests. The time for change is now.
Because I am not bound by the party line, I am able to focus my time and attention on issues that affect real people and their communities. Through the voice granted to me by my candidacy for U.S. Congress, I pledge to:
- Promote peace and encourage voter registration and participation in democratic process.
- Support full funding for VA/VHA – and its promotion as a model of what national healthcare can/should be.
- Rebuild our coast and promote greater protection and development of natural defenses by holding destructive parties accountable.
- Support water protection and environmentally friendly development of our region's precious natural resources.
- Focus on local agriculture and new green industries as part of our region's economic development.
- Reform the tax code so Louisiana can create new tax incentives.
- Advance education, rehabilitation, and destigmatization instead of incarceration to help keep non-violent drug offenders productive members of society.
While these issues represent the basis of my platform, I want and need to hear from you! As your hopeful representative, your issues are my issues, and together we can move the 5th district past the tired, old politics we've all come to know and distrust.